Monday, August 9, 2010

Retro time

I have wanted for some time do it retro style. Luckily, there is plenty of OD&D retro clones available, most of them for free. So I had just to google some options through and pick one up what I liked the most.

Mazes and Minotaurs is good, I have heard. And it looked nice. Only problem was though, it was quite big book with two separate parts for player's and gamemaster. So I decided to skip that for it's amount of read.

A little more digging and I found Swords & Wizardry. 118 pages so not that bad. And spell lists take a great slice out of page count. Illustration is fun and oldschool and what I quickly flipped it through, rules seemed to be really simple.

This is my choice. Now I just need to learn it and learn the differences between S&W and D&D so I can see how I could use D&D material with S&W. Do I need to convert it and is it simple.

Maybe some nice saturday evening my player's character wont be this space smuggler slash thief in love with alien who she is pregnant to (yep, current situation in Fading Suns campaign), but a warrior or a mage who just want's to... gain xp and better stuff. Hell, that would be cool!

So, starting to read S&W.

No comments: